Menu Content/Inhalt
Home arrow Places to visit
Places to visit Print E-mail
Elvas is a Portuguese city in the district of Portalegre, in the region of Alentejo, closel to the Spanish border. Elvas is 215 km from Lisbon, and only 5 km of the Spanish city of Badajoz.

Elvas was built on a hill only 8 km from the Guadiana River which forms the border between Portugal and Spain. It has seven bastions and two forts, Santa Luzia and Nossa Senhora Da Graça. Its gothic cathedral shows some Islamic influences, dating from the reign of Manuel I (1495-1521). 

ImageImage

The city has a most fantastic aqueduct constructed between the years 1498 and 1622 ensuring a constant supply of water. At a height of 40metres, Aqueducto Da Amoreira must be seen.

ImageImage

Castle of Elvas, was built it was is know as a border zone between Spain and Portugal, it is to be found on the top of a hill in dominant position overlooking the Guadiana river, and has proved to be a great defence throughout the centuries.

ImageImage

While in Elvas it is well worth seeing the cathedral The Igreja of Nossa Senhora da Assunçao (Old Antiga Sé de Elvas)

ImageImage

Pelourinho is ubicated in the Largo of Santa Clara. Monument of manuelino style symbolizes the municipal power.

Image Image
 
Santuario do Senhor Jesus da Piedade, is located on the outskirts of the wall of the town of Elvas, in the west zone, also known as Parque Da Piedade.
 
ImageImage

Forte de Nossa Senhora gives Graça, officially know as Forte Conde de Lippe, in Alentejo, is located to 1Km to the north of Elvas. It has been constructed in a dominant position on Monte da Graça, and was the defence of the Fortress of Elvas next to Forte Sta Luzia.

ImageImage
 

Calendar

August 2017 September 2017 October 2017
Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
Week 35 1 2 3
Week 36 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Week 37 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Week 38 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Week 39 25 26 27 28 29 30

Gallery

Advertisement